Monday, August 1, 2011

Flank Steak on the Grill

So this was a new one for me. Can't believe I haven't tried Flank Steak before...but we don't eat a lot of meat, and when we do it's always tri-tip! But I've made the vow to try one new thing a week, so this week it's Flank Steak! My husband says, "It doesn't sound very good, Flank?"...he's always saying stuff like that, but I just ignored him. Ha! But we all really liked it...not sure if I loved it like I do the tri-tip, but it was nice to mix things up.
I made up a nice spice rub of:
1 tsp. Cumin,
1 tsp. each garlic and onion powders
Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp. coriander (or more if you love it like me!)
Ground red pepper (to taste...depending on how spicy you want it)
Put this all over the 1.5 lb steak, both sides.
Medium-high grill to start, then after seared meat, turned it down to med then low.
It only took about 10-12 min to cook, turning over a couple times. This was to about medium, still a little pink inside.
Let this rest for about 5 min., then sliced it ACROSS the grain. This is very important, as it could be tough if you don't slice it this way.
Served this with green beans I roasted in the oven with evoo, salt and pepper, then finished with a little lime juice. Also made a box of Jiffy Corn Muffins...but I like to doctor these up, and I added honey, some regular flour, extra baking powder and a little more milk.
All in all, a very nice meal eaten outside on the patio with the family!

No comments:

Post a Comment